Wednesday, May 30, 2012

hello.

From time to time I'm going to write.  I often avoid writing publicly because of the position I'm in.  I teach & I release music from time to time.  Consulting is also picking up and in most cases I've felt as if my perspective belongs as a personal conversation between the students/bands/companies and me.  After all that's why people pay tuition or sign with my label.  As a scholar my perspective needs to be out in the public's eye for criticism, critique and to be used as a stepping stone for others.

 Here we go.

There has been a push for me to publish what I write in academic journals.  I resist the notion that academics need to be there today, especially music industry professors.  From my perspective the music business shifts fast enough that academic studies become historical documents as soon as they are published due to the production time it takes for the journals to be created.  We are in a society where the 24 hour news cycle of the newspaper is ancient and the 3-6 month cycle of journals is Precambrian in my opinion.  I'll still publish some content there but I'll share even more of it here.  After all, these are my thoughts and my perspectives to share.  Bands are going DTF and so am I.  Everything I write is from me.  It doesn't necessarily reflect Syracuse University, The Bandier Program or Aux.  I should not have to even say that but with a blog called Shit I Do With One Hand and other colleges seemingly restricting speech, it's out there.

Weigh in whenever you like.

-Ulf

No comments:

Post a Comment